Monday, June 4, 2012

This morning I had to attend a funeral of a long time employee.  The occasion is never expected and I always feel for those that have to go through that experience.  Undergoing loss whether you had time to prepare or not, is still one of the most difficult things one has to endure.  When I was very young growing up with my grandmother, she would talk about the day she would no longer be here.  I always felt that there was a morbid tone to those conversations, however, she was just preparing me in her own way for the inevitable and more importantly she conveyed how this was just another part of life.  It took many years after those conversations when I finally lost someone close, that I realized how much she tried to teach me during those poignant long talks.  The loss of life differs in many cultures and the grieving process is different for all.  At the service this morning, there were funny stories, tender memories and great examples of the love that was shared for this individual.  This person lived a great life and was one of those privileged to have lived long enough to see great great grandchildren.  Not everyone gets that opportunity, yet, we wish that for everyone that we hold near and dear to us.  Today I said goodbye to a wonderful lady named Celia and I wish her much deserved rest, joy and laughter as she moved on to a well earned retirement in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment