Tuesday, August 14, 2012

There is a great quote by Thomas Edison that states, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  What I take from this is the fact that we have to be prepared for those opportunities that we are waiting for. Furthermore, preparation for an opportunity is our own responsibility if we want to achieve success.  For instance, people who want to be promoted to a higher position at their work should begin by preparing for what may lie ahead.  This can mean a personal investment of their time or further education to obtain more knowledge to do that job in a competent manner. For many who have obtained a promotion, there is a lot of extra work that may not be realized until they have obtained the job.  Hence the other famous phrase, "Be careful what you wish for".  Opportunities become available at a moments notice and it is the time invested in the preparing for that potential opportunity that can serve as the catalyst for why some people are successful in pursuing those promotions versus another.  I have been at both ends of the spectrum of this in my own life.  Many years ago I thought I had prepared myself for an opportunity to enter into a leadership role, however, I was turned down repeatedly after many final interviews.  Much later I realized that although I may have prepared for this opportunity by taking on various leadership roles in my personal life, it was not until I had lost 2 members of my family that I realized I was missing the refined qualities of humility and empathy to be a better leader.  I was much younger and as I grew older I realized that had I not gone through those things, I would not have been as effective at my job as I was in later years in dealing with the complexities of managing people.  Being in the right place at the right time is part of it, however, more importantly is the work that you do to prepare for the next step that you wish to take.  Whether you are on the verge of actualizing your next step in life or your career, remember to not miss an opportunity that can be just around the corner.  With diligent determination, preparation and careful planning you will be able to accomplish what you seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment