Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I was having a conversation about an art project with my mom about her upcoming catechism class that she teaches, that centered on a treasure chest and coins that are deposited into it.  She explained that there was to be specific symbolism associated with the coins and the chest that they rested in.  As we concluded our conversation I thought for a moment about what the word treasure meant. I always like to look up various definitions of words, because the meaning can vary based upon the situation. The explanation that I liked upon doing some quick research was; a valuable or precious possession of any kind.  It made me continue to ponder how we have our own collection of treasures that are defined by the value we have placed on them.  I was then reminded of how some years back, we had some wildfires in the area where I live and I had to pack some of my own personal treasures, in preparation for an evacuation that appeared to be imminent.  I remember packing a bag with some clothes and shoes along with some other travel related things that could be utilized if I went to stay at a hotel.  When I was in my closet I pulled my house documents and insurance papers, which would be essential if my home had been damaged.  I knew I had limited time to think about what else I would take, that I would consider irreplaceable.  That was when I got to my family picture albums and decided that all of them were going to go with me no matter where I ended up.  It wasn't until after that scary situation, that I realized a few things.  First, I needed to do a better job of cataloging my pictures and ensuring everything was organized and in albums.  Second, the memories associated with those pictures told my story of how I got to where I am today and there was no dollar value that could be attributed to that.  Third, everything is replaceable to an extent, with the exception of a human life. Material things when faced with a crisis, such as a fire, become immediately less important.  Therefore, I ask you to think about your own personal treasures and the value that you place on them.  Also, be grateful for the things that you do have and when presented with an opportunity, share some of your treasure (s) with someone else, what ever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment