Thursday, July 18, 2013

Your Own Words Define Who You Are & What You Want To Become

My assistant was doing some shopping today for some items that we need next week.  We are in the midst of planning for a youth event and she had the presence of mind to buy journals as gift items for our youth participants.  When I saw what she purchased, they were quite appealing as they had inspirational words and phrases all over them, along with pretty pictures.  The words on one of them were interspersed from front to back with faith, hope and dreams as part of the cover.  I think Oprah Winfrey years ago introduced publicly the idea of a gratitude journal and that concept has evolved over time, as a method to help inspire or capture one's deepest thoughts.  I love the fact that we will be able to introduce or highlight the capability that a young person has in memorializing their thoughts in writing.  For me I have written over the course of my life and this blog itself has served the purpose of a journal.  Whether you are inclined to write electronically or the old fashioned way, I am of the belief that one can use this as a mechanism to recall what one was thinking at any given time.  Many folks have fleeting ideas or thoughts that if they were to give more time to them, could possibly become the blueprint for how they want to change things in their life.  Everyone should have a vision for what they want their existence to look like and if you do not, writing things down will help the other ideas to flourish.  Interestingly, I don't remember writing a lot of things down as in my adolescence and now as an adult I wish I had.  I know that I had many things that ran through my head at any given time, that would end up being part of my conscience thinking of how I proceeded in making decisions for myself.  In our adult years we tend to take less time to contemplate where we are at or where we want to go.  Therefore, it is imperative to be able to have something that can amass one's ideas in order to make adjustments to your life.  I don't think that one has to set out a goal to write a particular amount or have a number or words or sentences in mind.  The goal should be simply to write down things period and then see what may be harbored inside of yourself that needs to be set free.  Think about writing as therapy, except you don't have to pay anyone or be told that you only have a certain amount of time in your session.  Instead, you are in control of how much to put down and when to stop.  Give yourself the opportunity to let your thoughts be the guides that move in the direction you want the rest of your life to head towards .  After a few days or weeks, you will clearly see the words that come out of you will be communicating in language that only your mind and heart can understand.  Once those ideas are written down, then it is only a matter of time before they can begin to take shape into an existing transformation that can define the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment