Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Lucky Penny

I was on my way home earlier this afternoon after a busy day of volunteering.  I knew I needed to make a stop at the grocery store before making my final destination at home.  As I contemplated whether to make the stop as I drove around a busy parking lot, I finally found the right spot and thought it would be a quick run in then out .  As I walked in, I took a quick look at the new movies that were released on the Redbox and then was approached by an older lady who looked a bit concerned.  She asked me if I could reach in between the movie machine and the lottery ticket machine that was right next to it, to grab her lucky penny that she accidentally dropped.  I did not think twice as I attempted to reach down, however, it was pretty far back between the two machines and I even attempted to slide my leg in to see if I could reach it with my shoe.  After all of this effort I was still unable to reach it.  I began to slowly walk away as I apologized for not being able to help her and she gave me this look that made me feel that she was hoping I could come up with another solution to her problem.  I stopped again in my tracks and pointed to a newspaper stand and told her that perhaps using a paper to aid in the effort might work.  She walked behind me and again gave me that look that felt like I should try to do it for her.  Therefore, I did just that and went back to attempt to get this magical penny, which for a split second I thought I should just get her another one and we could move on from there.  However, when given the opportunity to assist an elderly person, I am always reminded of my grandmother and always feel in those situations that she is somewhere nearby watching to see if I am willing to do the right thing.  Sure enough a few moments later the extended arm in-between the machines with newspaper in hand did the trick and I managed to flick the penny forward to the lady's delight.  She picked it up and looked at me and said, "I know this may have been silly of me, however, this is my lucky penny and I could not do without it."  I told her that it was not a problem at all and I wished her good luck as she began walking out of the store.  It was at that moment that she then looked back at me as I began my track towards the fruits and vegetables and told me, "you have done your good deed for the day".  I smiled and as I walked away I could not help but think of what my grandmother would have thought about this whole incident and it made my heart feel full that this magical, hope filled and lucky penny made an elderly woman feel complete again.  What I was reminded of from this experience is that the appraisal of something does not always mean that it comes at face value.  It is the eye of the beholder who sees what the true importance or value of an object is, which can add even greater significance as a result of their esteemed price for it.  Even better is the feeling of being able to contribute to someone's desire for an object that brings them a sense of security, admiration and even hope as a result.  The next time you walk and see a penny on a sidewalk, floor or any other place that you are strolling by, pick it up as it may be the legacy of a luck that is waiting for you to extend it far beyond its face value of one cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment