Monday, January 21, 2013

I was reading an excerpt from Marianne Williamson's new book, "The Law of Divine Compensation", where she dedicates a chapter to the topic of a job versus calling.  It was a very interesting insight to a question that has plagued most of us through out our lives.  If we were to think about the great difference in perspective of what is our true calling on this Earth and what great purpose we are here to serve, as opposed to finding a job that is to pay bills and make ends meet.  Most people fall in the latter of the two philosophies, as I remember after graduating from college that I had college loans that were imminently due for re-payment.  Most of us in that situation look for a job that has some areas that we can relate to with regard to what our major was or specifically related to our interests.  It is not until some time later that you find yourself in the midst of doing a job for a period of time that you realize that you are in fact establishing a career.  Although I have worked for the same company for many years, I have this creative side that needs to be fulfilled and I have had the opportunity to exercise that propensity to write via this mechanism and through publishing a column of the same name.  I no longer spend time trying to answer my own question about pursuing a calling.  I decided some time ago to let the questions be answered by my higher power. I needed to simply walk forward in trusting that what I was meant to do and how I was to do it, would be manifested to me in a way that a lighthouse beams a ray of light to the ships out at sea to help them navigate their journeys.  Having faith and knowing that there is never a job or a situation that you are placed in without some type of tools that will assist you in performing the required tasks.  This again is where time works in your favor to teach you to be less anxious about what is to come as you grow older, as long as you invest and perform your best along with exhibiting a great attitude.  I can't wait to buy this new book by Marianne, as I have others by her and I always learn new things based upon her enlightened and eloquent perspective.  In the mean time, I will continue to walk forward enjoying my calling, while adding value to as many people as I can.  When my journey takes a new direction or I am presented with the next curve in the road, it will simply be an another opportunity for me to learn from as my calling continues to lead me through this great experience that I call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment