Saturday, February 23, 2013

There is a great novel written by Rudolfo Anaya, that I read in one of my college literature classes that left such an impact on me, that it remains one of my all time favorite books.  For me it was one of the first times that I read an award winning novel that touched greatly on traditions and folklore that have transcended time in Latin American people.  The book is called, "Bless Me Ultima" and it was released yesterday as a feature film.  After reading some reviews by some well known movie critics along with the L.A. Times, they have given the film great reviews, that I hope will enable a good cross section of movie fans to be exposed to this great story.  The truth is that even if the film had received bad reviews, I would probably still have gone to see it, as I am such an admirer of the book.  The protagonists in the story happen to be a seven year old boy, an old woman who has deep respect for the earth with non-traditional healing concepts that end up placing a stigmatic label on her and the boy's family whom she ends up living with.  There is a quote from the book where Ultima is sharing her wisdom with the young boy as they bond in the story, about the concept of good versus evil.  Among her most prolific advice is, "the smallest piece of good can stand against all the evil in the world".   This entire statement could be the film's motto and something that I remember quite vividly about why it was one of the many of the great qualities associated with this piece of literature.  It is no different than when in our childhood years we rooted for a super hero to defeat a well known villain.  We grew up hailing the good guys or gals who would defend those that needed defending and became our heroes that we all wanted to be when we grew up.  At the core of all of this was the age old concept of good being triumphant over bad.  I am very much on the side of the author of this book and among the many who feel that a little bit of goodness can conquer the world and make it a better place.  I would like to think that we need more examples of when this occurs to combat the constant barrage of messages that show examples that the opposite could be true.  So today after I complete some volunteer work, I will be headed to a theater in the afternoon, to relive and take in this new film.  My expectation is to enjoy the words that created a magnificent book which now transcend into an entertaining and cinematic achievement on the big screen.  If only all great books that have meant something to us could see the same fate, it would be another avenue to receive great doses of joy.      

No comments:

Post a Comment