Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Don't Let Your Ego Get In The Way Of Success

In listening to a discussion a couple of days ago, I was reminded in the midst of that conversation about letting go of being right and simply doing things for the right reason.  We can certainly be our own biggest obstacles when it comes to achievement towards our success, especially when we allow ourselves to be led by the wrong motives.  Our ego has a mind of its own and if we let it lead us down a wrong path, we can end up paying the consequences for actions that were not well thought out.  The author Eckhart Tolle writes very eloquently about this subject in his book, "A New Earth".  I have referred to that book many times as I periodically need reminding about what was truly important and what was just my ego wanting to take center stage.  When we focus on things that are ego driven, we lose sight of the many other good qualities that is in our make up.  Being humble, respectful and thoughtful are among those things that quickly leave our grasp.  There is the you that everyone sees and hears, while there is also the you that looks back at you in the mirror every morning.  The goal in life should be to have the you of the outside world be the same as the you that wakes up and is reflected in your inside world.  In my own journey, I have learned to ask those poignant questions of myself when something is truly bothering me.  Is this really about this issue or is it more about how this makes me look?  Does my conscience bother me about a particular decision or the way that I acted and if so, then what is it that I need to adjust to get rid of having that feeling?  These are just some of the things that run through my own mind when similar to the feeling of finding that pebble that seems to be stuck in a shoe reveals that sense of discomfort.  In my world, it does not take very long for things to surface before I realize that I myself may need my own attitude adjustment when things begin to bother me longer than they should.  Success can be impeded by the fact that you put your ego first without having the right priorities.  The next time you have an uncomfortable feeling after an exchange with someone at work or home make sure that you check the motives behind your decision making.  Drop your ego off at the next exit of your life's highway and propel yourself forward as you say goodbye to something that needed to be left behind many years ago.    

No comments:

Post a Comment