Thursday, July 30, 2015

Comfort Memories

As I was catching up on some television shows I had recorded from last week, I was mesmerized by a scene in one show that takes place back in the early 1960's.  There was a long interchange among a few folks at a maternity hospital and during the middle of the conversation, one person got up and bought a cup of coffee at an old fashioned dispenser machine.  In that moment, I immediately remembered the same type of machine during my childhood and although coffee was not have been my first choice as a young kid, I do recall being with my grandmother and how she allowed me to get a cup of hot chocolate from a similar machine.  The feeling of that memory brought back to mind how that influential person in my life and I shared so many memories while she was alive, along with the comfort feeling when getting cup of hot chocolate.  I don't remember exactly where this coffee machine was or where we were, but I do recall that machine and being in awe of how it worked instantaneously with a push of a button.  I know many of us have these trigger memories that can take us back in time in a split second and all of a sudden your bank of memories is opened to illustrate snapshots of many fond occasions. For many a song can be that focal point, as music is memorialized by the era in which it was made.  We all have these hallmarks associated with stages in time that remind us of what we were feeling or going through, like suspended dreams that can come back in an instant.  I cherish all of those memories, as I know that the volumes of available material continue to grow as we age while we add additional experiences to our catalog.  It is a comforting thought to know that we can all make a withdraw at any given time, so that we can revisit these junctures that many times filled our hearts with joy and happiness.  Also of note are the moments which may have brought other emotions that were born of a moment of sorrow or pain.  Although we know that those instances are carved into our list of memories, I believe that seeking to find the positive feelings are more fulfilling of what we seek and desire in our everyday lives.  Not too long ago, all of this was also validated when my sister and I went to see an animated film that was based upon this premise as well.  In the film, they had people that portrayed emotions and we got a glimpse of them as they operated with each other inside a person's mind.  It was a wonderful illustration of how the mind works and they provided vivid descriptions of how core memories are established, which were documented and sent to a special holding place in the mind.  As we grow older, I also notice that we are part of younger people's history that is now affiliated with potential comforting thoughts for them and it is a great realization when you are in the moment of when this is happening.  Through these instances one realizes that those memories will be able to live on far after we are gone.  Whether it is a birthday occasion, spending time with your loved one's at the beach, weekly family dinners or enjoying a family trip, all of those and other occurrences that bring a smile to your face are part of your embedded comfort memories.   My hope for all is that you are fully present in each moment of every day while you experience and memorialize ongoing instances of joy, fulfillment along with gratitude that will help fill your heart for a lifetime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment