Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I am continuing part of yesterday's conversation on not letting others take away your joy.  The additional point that I wanted to explore was based upon a saying that I saw on a training video many years ago, that simply said, "Don't Postpone Joy".  As simple as those words were, they carried such deep meaning for me.  I began to think of the many times I talked myself out of doing something joyful because I did not feel it was the right time, it cost too much money or the simple fact that I felt guilty of doing something for myself.  The pendulum did not stay there for very long, as I recall doing many things for myself after that, which then took me to the other extreme.  I then went into being out of balance by doing so much that it became selfish, I could not afford it or I felt that it was owed to me.  Thankfully, years of wisdom have brought me to a different place that I no longer have to worry about the pendulum and the swinging extremes.  The simplicity of the statement and its weighted measure speaks to me in that happiness cannot wait for the sun to be bright, the skies to be clear or the conditions to be perfect around you.  There is no such thing as perfect conditions.   However, our attitude and disposition can make us feel as if those conditions did exist.  Because life expectancy is not guaranteed, we must realize that joy in our lives comes in doses.  They arrive in large and small portions and we need to get used to savoring all of the sizes equally.  Do not wait for the next vacation to allow yourself to feel happiness, laughter or any of the other things that you feel you have not had enough of because you are too busy.  Take in what comes with each day and savor those bites of joy as they linger on our palates for days and weeks at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment