Wednesday, November 21, 2012

In preparation for tomorrow's national holiday, I began to make lists of what I am grateful for today.  I also challenge you to do the same, as our ability to celebrate a day of thanks, may have an even deeper meaning if we were to do a little homework on our own.  There is a very large list of things that continuously make my day.  When I begin each morning during the regular work week, I start by turning on the national news to see what may be occurring with a significant impact to people.  I am always thankful that we do not live in a country that is torn by strife and where freedom is not something that you hide.  When I see how other parts of the country may be suffering with bad weather, I am also grateful that where I live the sun actually shines and the cold factor is somewhat mild.  It does not take very long to see a quick pattern that revolves around negativity in the news and that is why I can only absorb it for so long.  There are always a myriad of scandals, political issues or other items that make me feel grateful that we have a democratic system that allows us to elect and exercise our voice by those that we entrust to govern us.  I am always saddened to hear a story about a tragic loss of life and unfortunately those are the headlines that continuously make the news as well.  When I hear those stories, I feel appreciative that most of the losses of life that I know of were due to natural causes.  I also remember once going to work in the morning and being at a stop light for some time.  In front of me was a bus stand and I could see a man who was blind waiting to be assisted onto the bus.  That image has stayed with me ever since and it has been a great reminder to me that I am thankful to have eye sight and the ability to drive to work.  Although my list can go on for a much longer period of time, I wanted it to be a reminder today before tomorrow's special holiday that there is a lot to be grateful for.  I hope you make  a long list and tomorrow when you are gathered among your family and friends, that you begin share part of  your list with others, so that everyone can truly appreciate the bounty that is part of your existing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment