Saturday, December 15, 2012

As I stood outside in the chilly morning air of this December day, I began going through my plants and flowers that are outside and picking up the fallen leaves that were swept in by last night's rainstorm.  With every leaf that I picked up and put into a pile as I began the clean up process, my thoughts were with the many families that were affected by yesterday's terrible tragedy across the country in Connecticut.  When I learned about the story yesterday while I was at work, I had a staff person who came into my office and had a dazed look in her face as she explained to me what had just occurred.  The images were being transmitted via the television news and through the internet and although I am thankful for technology that allows the speed of information to travel like a beam of light at times, this was one story that I could have done with a standard delay.  The senseless ending of innocent adults and children's lives is something that one has no words to describe.  This small community that could very well be in our own back yard, is having to pick up the pieces of the hurricane like storm that they found themselves in yesterday.  I know that the founding fathers of our great country established rights for all Americans with the knowledge they had at that time.  Among them was the right to bear arms and it has been attacked through out history, however, those rights as part of the Second Amendment still remain as part of this country's legacy.  It is after an act such as the one yesterday that makes me think that perhaps it is time to revisit what the limitations of those intended rights should be.  I don't believe for one moment that our founding fathers would have ever imagined that there would be weapons made in the future that were intended to inflict a high caliber of destruction on any human beings.  Sadly, this is but another story that has transpired that has had ongoing instances of this deplorable behavior.  Michael Moore the great documentary film maker and activist stated a very impacting statistic yesterday, when he posted the fact that sixty one mass shootings have occurred since the mass tragedy that transpired in Columbine, Colorado in 1999.  That number is frightening and it should serve as notice to all of us including the politicians that we elect to congress that it is time that we make some changes to what were well intended and established rights from long ago.  I will continue to pray for all of the affected families and the fragile community that woke up today not knowing how to figure out a way to step forward.  I have to maintain my hope in us and the rest of man kind that we are better than this and we can help each other heal no matter what the circumstance or storm that comes our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment