Saturday, February 16, 2013

When things get tough, we need to get tougher.  This is a varied take on a famous saying that goes back many years.  Life gives us thick skin, due to the variety of trials that we all have faced.  I know that there are some individuals that seem to skate through life and never seem to have a care or worry.  I was reminded of an example of this when many years ago in my early 20's, I remember one of my neighbors whose parents were both judges and he never had to struggle financially.  He was on course to go to law school himself, as he was going to follow in his parents foot steps.  I would think out loud sometimes and wonder how it would be like to have that kind of life.  In retrospect, I think I longed for my neighbor's lifestyle more so than his actual life.  One of the things that I did notice was that he never mentioned his parents or family during any of our conversations.  I on the other hand always spoke about my family and where I was from, as it was very deeply rooted in who I was.  As I think about all of this now so many years later, I am actually glad that I went through the struggles that I did.  I appreciate having worked for those things that I was able to purchase on my own and stopped taking things for granted many years ago.  Also, my appreciation for family and friends grew from the fact that I had some losses to deal with earlier than most of the people that I knew.  What that allowed for me, was the opportunity to help someone else to get through their tough period of time.  So having some hurdles to overcome as you grow, definitely gives you the ability to have that resiliency that can enable people to handle greater things, that others could not.  The next time you find yourself in one of these situations, just think about how much growth you will incur as a result.  Trials will will get less tougher because you will be well conditioned to jump over those hurdles as if they were small stepping stones on your way to your purpose driven life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment