Sunday, December 15, 2013

Living A Peaceful Life

As time goes by, the things that make me happiest now are not the items that were once on my list as a younger person.  I can recall that in my youth, how I wanted to be surrounded by materialistic things. The other part of that type of goal was also to have the capability to buy or purchase more items that either appeared to make me feel good or that might impress others.   I made many errors in those younger days because of my cloudy thinking and lack of focus of what was truly important to me.  Thank goodness for wisdom and fine aging, that comes along to show us that we need to grow up and out of that previous frame of mind.  With the end of this year close at hand, I can honestly say that family, friends and good health are now at the top of my list.  If I can barely remember a needed visit to a doctor, then I feel that the odds of my health being better are swaying in my favorable direction.  When I can sit down to speak and see my family members with a good amount of frequency, I consider those moments to be of utmost value.  I know this now because of conversations with other people through out my life, where I was told about stories of many siblings who lived so far apart from each other, that they spent many years of their adult lives longing for those opportunities that were so infrequent.  Then there are the close friends that have been with me,  that are comprised of my circle that has been with me through all of my ups and downs of my life, while they always offered a listening ear along with a shoulder to lean on.  Although my life is dictated by many things, career included, it is the down time of not being at a meeting, on the road somewhere or at work where I appreciate my life even more.  When I can get up in the morning and fix a cup of coffee, while I sit down to read the newspaper (yes I still like the old fashioned way of reading and not on a tablet) while looking outside to watch the morning bloom in front of my eyes, is when I feel that sense of great inner peace.  I know that the moment I listen to the news that the world has many things going on that can be disconcerting, however, I carefully filter what I need to take for myself and move about my day.  When you think about the things in your own life that give you those feelings that lead to a more peaceful existence, keep striving to live your life so that they become your designated routine.  Achieving true balance can only happen with your own ability to plan better and remember that your attitude will be the defining attribute to living the way that you most deserve.  Count the many blessings that you have daily and be in the moment when those instances happen that bring you peace, fulfillment and joy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment