Sunday, May 4, 2014

Green Blades Of Grass

I was watching an interview this week with Good Morning America's Robin Roberts who was promoting her new book.  The essence of which is that everybody is going through something at any given time.  A poignant moment in the interview turned to her speaking about her mother and she had told her once that if everyone through their personal issues into a pile, chances were that you would pick up your own again after seeing what everyone else had.  I thought about that for quite a while as it made absolute sense to me.  We have all heard of the saying, "the grass is always greener" and usually it alludes to things being better someplace else.  Well the truth is that our grass is quite green if you think about it long enough and much of that perspective begins with what colors you see in your own blades of grass.  A lot of people think about their lives and they look at what might be missing a bit more than concentrating on what is already there.  For me, I begin everyday with the fact that I am still here, have good health, people that care about me and a place to call home.  After that everything thing else is a layer of good that can keep building on that basic foundation.  Sure I could list things that I would like added to my life, home or immediate surroundings, however, I believe that things come to you right when you need them.  It took some time to develop that muscle internally that allows me to not put pressure on the unknown.  Through reading many books, listening to different lectures along with meditation and prayer, I feel that I am at a much different place these days.  I strive as much as I can to achieve balance and although I am dedicated to my work, I can also say that I am dedicated to my leisure time that helps replenish my energy.  When thinking about other people and what they are going through, whether it is from someone telling me about it or just listening to the news, there is always a quick reminder about how blessed my life really is.  We can all aspire to have new and different things in our lives that may be missing, however, it is important to remember that there is a lot of good already there.   Remember that the grass is probably already a vibrant shade of green in your own world, it just depends on where your focus is in your view of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment