Sunday, September 21, 2014

Being Resilient

As I was taking a walk the other day I was going up a hill near a golf course and I was taking in all of the trees that were along my path.  One particular tree caught my attention as I had seen the branches broken off for a substantial part of it some time ago, where it had taken a beating from one of those unusual summer storms.  I remember walking by it after the storm had passed and it looked like it had lost a considerable amount of life in it.  However, as I looked at it today, it had not only bounced back from the days of wind swept broken branches, it looked more fuller than ever.  It had some strong roots that were peaking over the top of the grass and it stood like it was opening its arms to me as I stared at it straight on.  I did feel like it was inviting me for a hug and I just smiled as I contemplated its wonderful resilience in the aftermath of wild weather.  As I continued on with my walk I kept thinking about how we also weather all of these storms that some times come out of the blue, like a flash flood filled with an element of ominous surprise.  We all have those moments when we are suddenly battling strong winds and uneven currents while we try to keep afloat in the face of those circumstances.  However, just like all storms in this world they all have a time limit and soon enough one can look for the clearing in the distance.  Over the years I have learned to strive for more life balance that would prevent me from feeling overwhelmed by any downpour in life.  It has not been easy, yet, over time I have come into a place that I can certainly feel that all clearings are in the distance, it is just a matter of time to get through any type of surprise conditions.  What has kept me grounded is to immediately think and meditate about how other people face much stronger tests in their lives that I or anyone else would not even want to contemplate switching with my trials for  those of another.  Many of us always think that the grass is always greener someplace else, however, we all know what truth really lies beyond those thoughts.  If we allow ourselves to be more grateful for all of things that are part of our lives, then it is that thinking that will charge ahead as a beacon of light in the middle of any tempest in life.  Many of us have a great network of support that can provide us with additional comfort and reassurance during those periods and there is a lot to be grateful in that recognition.  It can be so easy to forget one's owns dilemmas if you put someone else first and have confidence that all things will work out for good in the end.  When I walked past the same tree on my way down the hill, I gave it another glance and felt thankful for the reminder that nature had brought to my attention by way of its magnificent creations that not only provide us with air to breathe, but can inspire us to be more resilient in all of our moments in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment