Monday, September 1, 2014

Planting Seeds

I was reading a quote the other day by the great businessman and entrepreneur Warren Buffet which stated, "Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago".  My thoughts drifted to those of being grateful for the many things that people before me have done, that were the catalyst for who I am today.  It is interesting when I think about my life growing up as part of a minority group in a place that did not necessarily make me feel like a minority to begin with.  My era was indeed a much different experience than those brave men and women that paved the way for me to have been able to grow up without the many indignities that most minorities endured long before me.  My grandmother told me stories when I was a child of her experiences as an immigrant, with a 3rd grade education, who left her country in search of a better future for her and the four children that were left without a father when he tragically died in his thirties.  Her stories felt like fiction to me, as I envisioned  what she was telling me was part of a great novel that captivated my attention,  as I was left clinging to find out how the story ended.  What she shared with me ended up being like seeds of strength that were planted firmly inside of me, as I grew up awaiting the day for which I would know when to use this generational power.  I am always amazed at how much was given to me by way of a story growing up, as it was the way that a person with an elementary school education could best communicate her struggle and perseverance in the eye of some of the most challenging instances in a person's life.  One day all of these stories will have to make their way into a book of some kind and as I step my way towards that goal, I am grateful to be able to share and impart any wisdom or observation that can help someone else in their own personal journey.  As in today's observation of that quote, I thought long and hard about the many people that not only struggled, but also died, in their effort to change the world and how their future generations of children would be able to live as a result of that truth and courage that was lived.  I often wonder what great lessons our children of today and those born tomorrow, will be reading about that will give them what we were imparted with so many years ago.  I also often think about who the new change makers will be as we grow older that will capture a generation of people and also help inspire them to be better and do better.  I now think of what I can do to make small and meaningful changes that will continue to inspire me to be more present in every moment as I look for the opportunity that may exist to be able to leave some form of example or inspiration for others.  Remember that all of us were provided with our own seeds via those that nurtured us over the course of our lifetime.  Look for the blossoms that have now grown into existence awaiting for you to realize your true self.  We all have much to be thankful for in those special individuals that sowed those seeds for us so many years ago.  Think about what has been planted in you that can be shared with others as you move forward to self actualization or redefining who you really want to be for the rest of your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment