Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thankful Moments

As we arrive at our yearly holiday that celebrates being thankful, I have been taking moments through out the past few days to contemplate all that has been occurring over the past year to carefully review some of reasons why this day has great meaning for me.  I was driving with many travelers a few days ago in somewhat slow traffic, as I noticed recreational vehicles of all types and license plates from different states converged in mass on our expansive freeways making a trek to a particular destination.  I thought about how happy people would be when folks arrived at the  front doors of family and friends with open arms and smiles that could brighten up a dark room for days.  I was one of those travelers as I navigated my way through diverse landscapes that brought me to the home of my mother, who was eager to give me a hug and show me all of the work that she had done to her home since my last visit.  The feeling of the familiar is always comforting, as I quickly began running into people upon arrival that immediately brought forth memories of my youth as they were part of my memories of my home town.  I began to give thanks that after all of these years, some of these folks still remember me and therefore they too share in memorializing part of my life through out my younger years.  We always take for granted when we see people that they will be there the next time we return or that somehow time is standing still as we are all bound to see each other again soon.  The truth of the matter is that this is not always the case, as I know of many instances when people unexpectedly are lost and you don't get another chance to speak to them or are provided with one last hug along with gracefully saying goodbye. That is why in the midst of the entire holiday shuffle that causes people to add some additional stress as it relates to cooking the perfect dinner, making their homes look as sharp as they can or ensuring that all of the creature comforts are available for those visiting guests, it is ultimately about the re-connecting with these dear people that is of the utmost importance.  Hopefully many folks will take moments before their celebrations to actively reflect upon the reasons they are especially thankful for allowing the reunion of special people to take place.  I like to take several moments before, during and afterwards, as I find many reasons that I had not thought about previously for celebrating many unique instances when gratitude became a living example in seeing and speaking to family, friends and loved ones.  Although I could do away with all of the excess shopping that is needed and fighting crowded stores along with crowded parking lots that come with this great holiday, I just simply take it all in as I consider all of it to be part of the grand experience.  The conversations with my mom at the grocery store or outside in her garden are all a string of snapshots that are embedded in my brain, as I reminisce and sometimes just laugh at the many moments that are now part of this visit's experience.  I look forward to more holidays chapters of visits home, as my album continues to grow with each coming experience.  However, I am quite satisfied with all of the others that have taken place thus far, especially when I think about the many family members that are no longer here that we will miss when saying Grace later this evening.  Therefore as many of you begin to make your final preparations for your grand family celebrations, think about all of your thankful moments that are filling up this particular holiday and take some additional time to reflect on why it may be even more special than the last one.  My wish for everyone is that this holiday brings an album full of instances where you capture how much you enjoyed re-connecting with people that are part of your inner circle, as today serves as a great opportunity to catch up with a hug, smile and a laugh or two.  May your holiday be overflowing with all that comes with having a grateful heart as you are surrounded by your loved ones, while we remember that not everyone is as lucky to be able to celebrate this day with people that care for them and call each other family.

No comments:

Post a Comment