Friday, August 10, 2012

Today I am revisiting a previously published column.

Inventing Your Life 


“Success Is A Series Of Steps” 


By 

Rob Claudio 


There have been a number of people that I have worked closely with over the years, who recently took another life step into the world of retirement. As I reflect on some of their many accomplishments and having to accept that they will be leaving soon, I decided to take a moment to take it all in. The fact that I have been able to have been part of someone’s work life, that affected my growth both personally and professionally is amazing as I reflect upon it. When I think of people’s success around me, I acknowledge the fact that one’s achievements were due to the many steps that were taken over a lifetime. Having recently participated in IAWP’s State Education Conference in Los Angeles, examples of success were all around me. Even the conference theme “The Stairway To Success”, resonated with me as one begins to think of the many long traveled roads it took some folks to get to where they are. For the new generations of today, I understand that the concept of waiting is not a preferred option and many seek to achieve with a fast paced quick turn-a-round in mind. However, there is something to be said for learning life’s lessons during their time and not ours. I can recall not too long ago, when I wanted certain things by a certain time and my own level of patience was not too tolerant of my inability to meet some of my personal deadlines. Then as the universe would have it, I would repeat certain lessons not too long after that because as I now understand it, I did not learn my lesson the first time. Does this sound familiar? 

I also learned a very good lesson a long time ago about being thankful everyday and not just when things were going right. One of the hardest things for someone to do is to have a grateful attitude during a time when they are going through a difficult time. Yet, it is this attitude that saves each of those tough days and allows us to be able to move into acceptance with a grateful heart. None of these lessons were easy, however, I can honestly say that they moved me many steps forward to my own version of how I define success in my life. For the many people who have success on their minds, however you choose to define it, I ask you to begin counting the little steps along your path as you continue on your journey. Also, don’t forget to celebrate your milestones once you begin to achieve them. I believe that sometimes we celebrate those key moments for too short a period, when in actuality our celebrations could last a lot longer. 

“You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become 
uninterested in money, compliments or publicity” 
-O.A. Battista

No comments:

Post a Comment