Thursday, October 18, 2012

I was at an airport yesterday afternoon and had to deal with a delay due to mechanical problems with our aircraft and then eventually we got redirected to another plane for our trip.  It was similar to one of those moments that you hear about in the news when sometimes things don't go as planned.  With the fact that an airline has all of these human lives as liabilities in this common form of transportation, I can always relate to erring on the side of caution.  It was interesting to see how the people around me reacted to the delays.  Some were visibly upset as they had plans that would not be completed based upon their itinerary for the evening.  Others were quiet and introspective, while some simply maintained a positive outlook.  I was sitting next to a gentleman who was the ideal person for how to handle these situations.  He instantly captivated me by asking me, "so where are you traveling on this fine day?"  The fact that he could look above everything else and was determined to maintain that a fine day was still at hand, made me smile.  I explained that I was heading home and he told me about his destination.  Then he began making jokes with the other people around us about how the airline would be very amenable to purchasing our dinner at one of the airport's fine restaurants, as a way to make things up to us.  Most of us looked at him in disbelief and he let out a loud laugh, acknowledging that it was not going to happen.  People began naming their favorite foods and restaurants in the airport and everyone seemed to cheer up at the thought that they could have their favorite meal during this delay.  We spent enough time talking and chuckling with each other, that time went by very quickly. Before I knew it, we had boarded our plane and we were taxiing down the runway as we headed into the sky.  The incident was a great reminder to me that no matter what your perceived distressful circumstance, a good attitude and a sense of humor will get you through.  The next time you are faced with any type of obstacle, look at it as an opportunity for you to look at things from a different point of view and keep things in perspective.   What ever the magnitude of your dilemma, know that things will work out and a good attitude will get you through even faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment