Thursday, October 25, 2012

I was conducting some training today and at the conclusion of my session I showed a video that spoke about leadership.  One of the specific phrases in the video asks the viewer to look at the world through more innocent eyes, like when you were younger and had no money.  It made me think back to my adolescence and college days where this was the norm.  I recall having a lot of fun in my younger years and mostly none of it revolved around how much money I had to spend.  I would go to the movies every so often and watch an inexpensive matinee film that was usually made by Disney.  The films are now like a distant dream to me and they included such family classics as the; Swiss Family Robinson, (Herbie) The Love Bug, Freaky Friday and The Shaggy D.A.  My grandmother always found a way to give me change to pay for the early show and buying things at the snack bar was seldom treat.  However, I got to be part of the experience, just like anybody else who may have had more money than I did.  In the theater, there was no hierarchy for those that had more money to be able to purchase better seats.  Everyone was able to enjoy and be part of this magical event that took place on the screen and took all of us away on a magic ride for almost two hours.  When I think back to those movies, they may seem corny by today's standards of cinematic art, however, I treasured every single one of them, as they became poignant dots on the map of my life.  Try this exercise and think back to that period in your life and remember the person that you were when innocence prevailed around you.  Be thankful that you may lived to capture such memories and revisit them often, as they serve as a reminder about what can truly make you happy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment