Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Today is Halloween and although it means many different things to many different people, I was reflecting on how this day was something I looked forward to growing up as a child.  Although the fact that you could ask for and receive candy was an immediate bonus, I recall the weeks prior to this day as the momentum was generated in the store displays and how we all decorated our classrooms in school.  It was definitely a more innocent time, when we did not have to worry about speaking to strangers, being allergic to food items or having natural organic choices for treats.  In my mind it was very simple, I either got gum, chocolate, lollipops or some other assortment of candy that did not rank very high on my barometer.  I also remember being allowed to walk long distances to the surrounding neighborhoods and the goal was to get more candy than your friends did.  My costume initially was store bought and for the longest time it was a one piece plastic coverall of sorts with a non-flexible mask.  It wasn't until I was in the sixth grade when we really worked on and invested our time on making our own costumes.  I remember the winner of our whole school like it was yesterday, who made a costume that resembled R2D2 of the now classic film Star Wars.  The highlight of the school day was that you got to wear a costume to school and before you left for home, everyone in the class got a cupcake and some fruit punch as the big treat from our teacher.  I know that times have certainly changed since then and now there are big carnivals and the costumes are more elaborate and lifelike than ours ever were.  I love that evolution has made some things better and that is always the mark of progress.  However, when this day is complete and parents finally get home from spending an evening of trick or treating with their children, I bet that if everyone ended their evening with a cupcake and a glass of fruit punch it would be the culmination of a great evening for all.        

No comments:

Post a Comment