Monday, February 16, 2015

An Enriched Life

I was observing a discussion not too long ago about how people from different cultures treat their pets.  They were commenting on the American culture and how we in this country have these unique relationships with our pets that raise the status of them equal to family members.  As much as I wanted to say no that was not true, I had to chuckle because inside I knew that it was a more accurate description than not.  In different parts of the world, animals serve a particular purpose in their role of a household.  In many cultures, a dog is used for security purposes, to alert their masters of impending intruders or for warning purposes when they bark at something in the middle of the night.  Then I heard how cats are used in other countries as part of the extermination process of keeping mice or other rodents out of their homes or other buildings.  It was interesting for me to listen to all of this because I am an animal lover and I believe that part of our harmonious balance in the world means that we have also developed special kinds of relationships with all beings, not just people.  I can remember as a child that I wanted a dog and it took a lot of convincing and several years before I was deemed responsible enough to care for one.  It was one of my happiest memories when I think about that moment when I was given a puppy that transformed who I was and I felt that immediate connection to this wonderful animal, that only wanted to be near me and play.  My formative years as a child were shared with my trusted dog and later on, one of my grandmother's friends also gave me a pair of Siamese kittens, that became part of my inner circle at home.  As our family life took twists and turns through the years, the constant in all of those periods was that I always had three sets of ears that were willing to listen to anything that I wanted to talk about.  My family pets were content with a scratch on the neck, all the while looking at me with a calming sense that everything was going to be okay.  When I think about how these wonderful creatures grew up alongside me and shared in my moments of happiness and the darker moments of pain,  I have only gratitude in my memories of them for all of that unconditional love that they embraced me with on a daily basis.  After going to college and then beginning a career soon after, it seemed like I was absent from having a pet near me for many years, as I was caught up in all of the routine things that limited my attention and time at home.  Then several years ago, my younger brother decided that I needed to have a pet at home and began looking for a Siamese cat for me to rescue, as he knew that I was too busy and not home enough to have time for a dog.  We managed to find an elderly cat that was in need of a home, due to the owner who was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and would forget to feed her.  Although the circumstance by which I ended up adopting that cat, it was a renewed experience to have a pet at home again.  She had her own ailments and although she spent many years with me, I saw her go in her old age to a happier place that was no longer part of my world.  It is always difficult to say goodbye to family pets, as they took a special place in our hearts and for me was one of the first lessons in experiencing how life does come to an end at some point.  However, my grandmother taught me from a young age, that none of us are going to be on this Earth forever and so it goes with our beloved people along with our cuddly creatures, that are here for a purpose, a reason or a season after it is all said and done.  My last pet adoption occurred about nine years ago, when I decided to rescue a Siamese kitten from a shelter and this particular bundle of happiness was only six months old when he became part of the family.  I have spent countless hours playing with him and laughing at his antics over the years, which on the toughest of days can wipe away my heavy thoughts and brings a smile to my face.   I am still filled with that special gratefulness of having another great creature to walk alongside me for another part of my own life's journey.  I know that there are many animal lovers out in the world and some have done a lot to advocate for better and ethical treatment of them and I applaud all of those who take on a greater role in defending those who cannot speak.  A person that falls in love with another individual can create the most magical relationship that can last a lifetime and wonderful memories that can stand the test of time. I would also like to add a footnote to living a full life, in that having someone that offers you unconditional love, such as a family pet. can add to the richness that already exists.  I hope that in your many memories stored in your life's archives, you still have those pictures and moments in your life when you experienced the love of a family pet.  May those great recollections that existed along with the new one's in the making make you smile when you think about them and I hope they also make you feel grateful for the added value that they brought to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment