Monday, May 21, 2012

One of my favorite authors and speakers is Dr. John Maxwell.  He wrote a book titled, "Becoming A Person Of Influence".  This work has many relevant topics for me and one of my favorite's that he discusses is how most people will do anything to live up to your faith in them.  Our parents, teachers or coaches have all played a part in us wanting to do more and achieve what their expectations were.  As we grow older I believe that this lesson is weighted even more by what our parents taught us and how their hopes and dreams in us, made such an influence.  When we were in elementary school we were asked by our teachers what we wanted to be when we grew up.  I remember thinking of this powerful question and somehow felt that I needed to make a concerted effort in providing an answer that was acceptable by my teacher as well as myself.  Do we still ask children this very important question?  I hope so, as the question lends itself to dreaming and that is where we begin our journey to achievements in life.  Whether we achieve the childhood dream or not, is as important as having the opportunity to dream it .  Remember that someone else can dream a bigger dream for you and their influence will usually make you want to attempt to surpass their expectations.  Keep dreaming and keep asking the children around you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment